Friday, March 21, 2008

Ian snags 11th

What a day.
I have a load of work and appointments before we leave Monday morning for New Hamster, but I couldn't tear myself away from my laptop watching the live feed from Stratton, Vermont. The US Open Slopestyle competition was enough to make me bite my nails. . .and they are fake to begin with!
Before lunch, Ian slipped under the wire to make the top 16 that advanced to the finals.
I missed his first Finals run, but his second was solid. He moved from 16th to 7th. Then on his 3rd run he fell ending up 11th for $250.00.
Humpy had the top spot until the legendary "Flying Tomato" Shaun White took over the course.Shaun won and is now $20,000 richer. He's still in the running for the halfpipe comp and $100 grand plus a Volvo.
Still, our favorite New Jersey boy was only 8 points off the Olympic gold medalist and wound up 2nd for $10,000.00. I guess he's buying the sushi tonight.
The Waterville Valley Air Force was flying in fine form today and I know Coach Bill Enos is smiling like a chessy cat. Humpy 2nd. Sam Hulbert 8th, Chas Guldemond 9th, and Ian 11th.
Something to be said for that "Yoda" of snowboarding and his guidance.
I'm so proud of those boys. If there were closer it would be banana cream pie for dessert and a Dutch Baby for breakfast.
I don't think any of us understand the will they have when standing at that starting gate looking at 4 jumps, measuring 50 feet, 55 feet, 55 feet and 45 feet. . .not to mention the rails. . . and they choose not to just power down the course for big air, but to take that flying time and spin circles upside down.
Hats off my heroes!
Your Michigan Mom!

No comments: